Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The time is coming soon!

I went in for my normal doctor appointment on Monday to find out that my body was going into early labor at 33 weeks and 5 days. I was 90% effaced and dialated to a 3. He sent me into the hospital and I was having contractions 2-6 minutes apart.
They quickly gave me a steroid shot to help the babies lungs develop quickly.
They then gave me some pills to stop my contractions, but they weren't sure if it would work and they thought that they would very likely see me back that night.
However, the contractions did slow down. I went in the next day and the contractions were not labor contractions and my dialation had not changed. So we did successfully stop my labor. I was able to get my last steroid shot to help the babies lungs and so that is good to know in case they do come early.
It won't take much of anything to go into labor so I am now on 100% bed rest just laying down trying to keep these babies in as long as possible. I really want to hit 35 weeks which is a week from today.
The good news is that 34 weeks is considered a somewhat ok time to have babies and that is why I am not on forced bed rest at the hospital. The nurse told me that it is up to me how long I want to keep these babies in me and how long I want to visit them in the NICU. GULP!
The good news is that the babies still look healthy and great, they just need more time in me for the best results possible. They are in the 4 pound range. But, I really want them to get to the five pound range.
Another neat thing is that my mom was in town for one day just passing through with Paul (her husband) and that was the day all of this happened. So, she is here doing everything for me and making meals etc... It is really nice not to have to use Vicente's sick days so we can save those for the babies when they arrive. It is just so critical this week and a half that I really don't do anything but lay down and to having her here is a huge blessing!
Anyway, the time is near and we are excited and nervous at the same time. We just want them to be healthy. It was kind of a surprise. I honestly thought I was going to be able to hold the twins in for longer than the average and my body gave in even before the average. My doctor was shocked, the funny thing is that at 32 weeks he told me that I was doing so well and so strong that it wouldn't be bad for me if I wanted to exercise a little bit. Deep down I had a feeling that wouldn't be safe so I didn't, but even he was like wow you are doing great for twins. I was just really surprised to go into labor so early. Anyway, I am glad we caught it in time.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what excitement! I wish I could be there to help. Hope all goes well this next week.

BBC said...

wow! i am so nervous and excited for you and vicente! they are going to be so beautiful! i can't wait to see pictures!

Burnett Family said...

I am so excited for you!!! I'm happy to know everything is going so well and you were able to slow those babies down from coming out! Glad to hear your mom is there to help you out. I'll be checking back to hear when the little ones arrive!

janaya said...

holy cow! you're totally having two babies in a week! :) that is crazy. i can't wait to come see you with two babies in your arms! yeah! let me know if you need anything at all in the meantime.

Emily said...

Wow! That is exciting! They will be here soon! I can't wait to see their darling faces!

L & M Rees Family said...

Wow good luck April - I am glad everything is looking okay now. Let me know if you need help etc.!

Kelly said...

okay, we're totally going to have these kids at the same time! I don't know if my body can even go into labor at any time...so I'm being induced next Wednesday, the 26th. Right now...on my actual due date...I'm only dialated to a 2 and at 60% e. (going NO WHERE!). Soooo....babies next week for us! Yippy! Good luck and lots of love!

Mike and Nicole said...

Wow, I can't believe how fast it has been...for us. :) I don't know if it has been fast for you. We are so excited to see your cute little babies. We aren't going to be here next week because we are going on a cruise, but we'll be back soon enough to greet them! Congratulations! Let us know if you need anything.

Ann-Marie said...

Make sure your bag is packed! We ended up going in early and I had nothing with me and nothing ready! It really stressed me out. I am so excited for you. You will love motherhood.

Bob, Emily, Ellie, and Kate said...

I am so excited for you. Motherhood is just around the corner, and you will be simply wonderful. I hope all goes well. Good luck!

Emily said...

We need a new update on your life!