The babies are home now! Is I will post some pictures above this. We could not be happier to have them here with us and in their home. I have to admit that having them in the hospital for two weeks was really hard on me. I know it was better for the babies, so I was dealing with it, but I missed them so bad and cried all the time. I just felt like I had empty arms and I craved them, but I couldn’t see them. I went to feed them a few times a day, but even then it wasn’t my time with them because all the nurses were hovering over me trying to teach me how to feed preemies. It was heart wrenching when they would tell me what my babies like, or that they had a hard night, or that I can’t hold them because they were burning too many calories being held…etc… I just was dying to get them out of there for my own sake of wanting to be the mother and do things my way.
After a while I began to feel like the nurses were making all the medical decisions for me. My doctor’s appointments were him only talking to the nurses about what my babies were ready for. I would just sit there. Finally, I just spoke up and told them what I think, and SURPRISE I was right every time. Everyone told me that they wouldn’t be able to take the bottle because they are too weak, I just knew they could, so I said I wanted to try it (one step closer to getting them home if they don’t get fed through a tube in their nose). So we tried the bottle and they both just guzzled it perfectly.
Then after that I wanted to up the feedings that I did with them and everyone told me they would lose weight from the effort. I just knew they were stronger than that. Sure enough they gained more weight than with the tubes. Within two days we went from 2 feedings to 4 feedings a day.
After that, the doctor asked the nurse if they were ready for a 24 hour feed on demand and the nurses were like NO WAY! I was like yes they are. So, he let me do it. Vicente and I stayed in a room with them for 24 hours and just fed them on demand without any tubes and sure enough they gained weight and had full feedings every time!
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THAT YOU ARE YOUR CHILDS ADVOCATE! The doctor was great, it was just the nurses that were hard for me, if everything was up to them they would probably be there for a few weeks more. All this said, I AM SO GLAD THEY ARE HOME AND FLURISHING! I love being a mom and I love the twins.
Everything is double with twins so I am sorry if I just am not answering your calls. I am just SOOO busy. I have about an hour break in between every feeding, but I need to eat and sleep during those breaks. Because they are home before they can breast feed 100%, I feed each baby. Bryce usually takes a half hour and Kathryn takes 45 minutes. After that they need to take the bottle to get a full feeding. After that I need to pump for their next bottle. This whole process is about an hour and a half (with someone helping me), but when I do it alone it is about 2 hours. This does not include the 30 diaper changes a day, the burps, the baths, and the cuddling. So I hope everyone understands if I am taking a long time to call back! Not to mention, update my blog!
Thanks to Vicente who is super dad, my mom who is super grandma, and the babies who are super babies!
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






















7 comments:
so happy for you to have those precious babies home. I wish I lived there to help you. Good luck and you have no explaining to do, you have TWINS. That says it right there. You will do great. Take care and we are thinking of you!
Oh my gosh, such a life change and blessing all wrapped up in two precious little things. I am so happy that they are home with you and healthy. I can not imagine how busy you are with TWO babies, but it sounds like you are doing so well. I can't wait to meet them, they are so darling. I thinik about you all the time and am so incredibly happy for you! Love ya!
Those first few weeks at home with newborns are SO precious! Don't feel guilty for not posting because you need to spend time with your little ones.
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU FOR SPEAKING UP TO THE DOCTOR AND NURSES! I was seriously tearing up when I read about how you knew what was best for them. Isn't mother's intuition awesome! Congrats again. Enjoy every minute because they grow crazy fast!
April, way to go - sticking up for what you knew was right. Doctors and nurses can be such a blessing at times and such a nightmare at other times. Even though you don't have time to post pictures, I sure hope you have time to take some pictures. Congratulations on becoming a mother.
April you are such a great Mom. Your post made me cry. I miss them and hope Liam gets well soon so we can see them!!! Love you and your perfect little family.
Congratulations - your babies are so cute! I am so glad everything went pretty good. Lance and I would love to come see them when it's a good time. Just let us know when we can and we'll be there!
April!! I am so glad your babies are finally home with you!! What a blessing and good for you for speaking up!! Mothers ALWAYS know whats best for their babies!! Your are doing an awesome job and don't even worry about calling people back, you need to enjoy this time together!!
Post a Comment