Sunday, September 13, 2009

Trying out for, "The Next Food Network Star"

Everyone knows how much I love to cook. I am trying out for the Next Food Network Star reality show. So, tonight Vicente and I spent about 5 hours on this whole thing! Can you believe it? What do you think? It can only be 3 minutes, so it is rushed at the end. Should I do it again? It is due on Monday!

Here is the recipe that people are asking for. ( I forgot the salt and pepper in the demo, so don't forget that)

Fennel and Mushroom Salad with Toasted Parmesan
Ingerdients:
Serves 2-4 people

1 box of spring lettuce
1/2 pound of cremini mushrooms
4 TBS Italian Parsley
1 1/2 small to medium fennel bulbs
3 TBS Lemon Juice (about 1 large lemon)
Parmesan Cheese block
Salt and Pepper

1. Slice the Parmesan Cheese as thin as possible and place on an ungreased cookie sheet
2. Place under a broiler for about 5 minutes and about 6 inches below the broiler lamp
3. Watch closely
4. Take out when golden and hard
5. If it seems to be smoking and burning but it isn't finished, turn off the broiler and just let the left over heat in the oven finish toasting it

After the cheese
1. Thinly slice the fennel. Don't use the green part, only the white root. Slice as thin as possible
2. Thinly slice the Cremini Mushrooms
3. Mince the Parsley
4. Make lemon juice and add all other ingredients together (besides the lettuce and 1 TBS parsley)
5. Add about 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper
6. Mix well
7. Place the topping on the lettuce being sure to scoop up some of the liquid from the bottom
8. Top with the last bit of parsley and toasted parmesan

ENJOY!

15 comments:

Shannon said...

That is SOOO cool, April! Oh my gosh when you become famous can I be on your show, or maybe your personal assistant? :)

I like the video! Just a little suggestion that I have is to maybe zoom in a little more on the food when you're showing what it looks like. But I think it's great!! Good luck and I hope you make it! :)

Nicole said...

Wow! Go April! I am so impressed and admire you for being so brave. :) I think you did great and I wish you the best of luck! It makes me wish we had T.V. so that I could watch you, because I definitely expect to see you on there. :)

Holly said...

I am actually very impressed...you look great on camera, and it was a great fun idea with the toasted parmesan...I can't wait to try it!
love mom
PS I think you should definitely be the next food network STAR!

Jesica and Chris Fowler said...

NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously! You did awesome and I think the recipe looks great! I think it's great... it doesn't seem rushed at the end like you said!!!!!! Go you!

Becky said...

You did a great job. I would suggest putting your toppings where the cammera can see them and your hands look awkward in the beginning. It's awesome you are trying out!

grandpa and grandma Wells said...

I am hungry and want to go try it now. Very, very well done. I am going to pass this on to everyone I know !!

Erin said...

i think you did a great job april! reminded me of your love for cheese, and all the cooking you did for me on the mission :-)

you'll have to post the recipe for all your watchers!

Heather said...

Hey April, It's Heather Tanner. That is awesome! You'll have to let me know if you make it on the show! I think you did great!

Emily said...

Love it! You are my favorite person! I would totally watch your show :)

Emily said...

I love it! I would totally watch your show. And I love that you guys spent 5 hours! haha, we miss you guys up here...

Heath and Jessica said...

Way to go April! I would watch your show! I have been called a Rachel Ray before, but I don't think I would like to have my own show. Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Tricia said...

April - I am so excited for you. It was so cool to see you on facebook. You and your hubbie and cute twins look so adorable - you seem so happy and totally deserve it! I am so happy for you. My little girl is just a tad bit younger than your kids I think. It's too bad we're not closer! Do you remember back at the Riv when you asked for that super chocolate chip cookie recipe and I told you I'd give it to you for a wedding present? Well, I've got to get that to you now since you are obviously married! Get me your address on facebook and I'll send it over. I love your demo for the cooking show - let me know how it goes! Hopefully I'll meet your family some day.

Natricia (Hall) Christopherson

Emily said...

WHAT!!?!?! That is the coolest thing I've ever heard! Good luck! The video looks great!! I hope you make it on!!!

hailey said...

Okay April. You are too awesome to be trying out for this! I LOVE IT!! I would DEFINITELY watch your show!!! I hope I get to see you soon... Jake and I will have to plan a road trip.

Sheena said...

Do it April! You are the best! Love ya!